Surprise You Are A Mom !: Valentine's Day

Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s day!


I know that I am posting this a few days after Valentine's Day but it has been busy. With husband having Lasik done, Valentine's day and of course our little one it can get a little chaotic.
But overall I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day! I know I did! Like any holiday I try to make it special. It's a day about loving those that you care about a spending time with them.
In our household we don't celebrate it by purchasing lavish gifts. Cause lets be honest those 20 dollar box of chocolates will be half off the following day. My husband and I always cheap out on Valentine's Day it's either because we both work late that day or some other excuse which is fine by me.
Now that we have a little one, we try to make more of an effort on holidays. A lot of you might have heard of a website called Pinterest. You might be one of those guilty ones, like myself, that pin a million things a day. I mainly pin things for my little one like educational activities ideas, birthday party ideas and the list goes on.
The reason why I mention this website because most of the valentine theme ideas that i did with my 19 month old came from there.
In the morning of Valentine's Day , my daughter's bedroom door was covered with hearts. And each had a saying like "mama loves you", "you are adorable" , or "we are lucky to have you". Isn't that cute, right?! And it was very inexpensive. All you needed was construction paper, scissors, tape, and a pen/marker.


Yes, I know that my daughter doesn't know how to read but she did notice it since its something that is not normally there. I personally would say it’s a success.
Next stop were the gifts! My husband and I bought her a small box (princess themed) of chocolates. I personally try not to give her candy or any junk food but hey it was valentine’s day and it was only a dollar! The second gift was a Valentine straw which I found at party city for 25 cents! Her last gift was a set of 3 necklaces that were pink, red and silver that said “I<3U” all around. Let me tell you, she actually shrieked out of excitement. I wish we recorded it! It made us so happy that she loved it. She wore them all day she even tried to put one on our dog!


Then came lunch time! I made her regular lunch but with a valentine twist. Her fruit and sandwich were cut out into hearts. I used cookie cutters to shape them perfectly. Saw this in Pinterest a while back and kept a mental note to make it for valentine’s day.


After doing a couple of things around the house, I decided bring out our valentine’s day art activity. We were going to use paint for the first time! I was terrified that it might turn to a war-zone but it wasn't bad. I used regular printer paper, washable paint (pink and red), 2 brushes and 2 toilet paper rolls (for stamping). Again, I got the toilet paper rolls idea from Pinterest. You shape the rolls into hearts and dip them in the paint and stamp them on the paper. Very simple! My daughter was able to do the stamping without me trying to teach her. She is a very smart cookie! But my big mistake was showing her the brushes. She decided to move on from the rolls to the brushes then to her fingers. We were painting for a good hour or so. It was such a great success that I might make it a regular thing.
The not so fun part as a parent was the cleaning up. There was some paint on her high chair and our dining table but I was able to wipe it down. Next time I am planning to buy those plastic disposable plastic table covers that way its less cleaning up on our part.
As parents we always want to spoil our kids on holidays but there is no reason to spend so much money. A great tip for any holiday is always go to dollar section at Target or even at the dollar store! You’ll be surprise what you can find for a dollar.
The following day my family had our ‘valentine’s day dinner’ but at lunch time at a local Texas BBQ restaurant. And the best thing about it was that there wasn't any crowds! Which is a plus! Especially when you have a little one :)
Well, I have  to go back to mommy duties and I will be posting very soon!