Surprise You Are A Mom !: Recipe

Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Recipe

Ropa Vieja



The other day I made Ropa Vieja. For those who don't know what it is it's a Spanish beef stew dish. This is not a dish from my parent's country but growing up in Miami you would always see it. My mom never tried to make it. So I would indulge it at a friend's home or at a local restaurant. After moving away from Miami, I miss it more than ever and other Latin cuisine that I can't get anywhere else! 
A couple of years ago I had enough courage to try to make it. So I started looking online for recipes. I found a handful of recipes of Ropa Vieja. I read a million of reviews to make sure it tasted really good. And I finally found a recipe. It was simple and easy to make. This recipe is amazing. I, of course, altered it a bit to our family's liking. 
This is what I did:
Instead of 2 cloves of garlic I added 5-6 cloves of garlic (My family really loves garlic!) I added 2-3 extra teaspoon of cumin and cilantro. I would add extra cilantro if you are using dried cilantro and make sure crush it to bring out the flavor more. I also added about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of seasoned pepper or crushed peppercorn (it's whatever I have in my spice rack). My husband loves peas so I always add a can of peas (without the water) about 10 -15 minutes before its done. You can also add which ever vegetable you desire but I've only seen diced carrots and peas put in this dish. 
This dish goes well with tostones ( fried plantains) and rice.