Surprise You Are A Mom !: Potty Training Diaries

Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Potty Training Diaries



Day 1 June 22

Well this was really new to me. As a parent I thought I was prepared but it seemed like I was missing something or another. 
I researched how other parents do this potty training thing beforehand. Some of you parents are insane to be able to do this in 3 days. I give you parents props for sure. 
I tested the waters to see how to potty train my daughter. I did the 'be in the bathroom for the whole day and not leave the room'. Granted it was easier to clean up the accidents since it was just one area. But after a while I couldn't take it being the bathroom  and my daughter just wanted to leave. I felt if I kept her trap in the bathroom that she will have this negative connotation to using her potty. So we scratched that idea.
Luckily we have wood (fake wood) floors in the kitchen, dinning room and living room. I took any toys from my daughter's room that can be washed in the sink. I choose legos and her new picnic set since it was all plastic. I also brought out her pink plastic chair for her to sit down. Easy to clean if there was an accident. 
There were a handful of accidents I must admit but hey it's her first day. 
She used the potty 3 times. One of those times she basically tinkle a bit but I still gave her credit for it. Her rewards are a sticker and one M&M. When she pees in the toilet , I get ridiculously excited for her. 
Since she sees that I get excited so she too gets excited. 
To be honest I don't think she truly knew why she was getting these rewards and why her mom is getting all crazy over peeing in a plastic bin but she goes with the flow. 
By 9 pm I am ready to call it quits but I waited till 9:20 so I can start getting her ready for bed. 
Once she was in bed I was so happy. It is truly exhausting cleaning up the messes. 

Day 2 June 23


She is starting to understand a little bit more the idea of potty training. She used the potty 7 times. She still had a handful of accidents.  I would just recommend having a roll of paper towels and a disinfectant spray on hand at all times. 
I tried to sit my daughter down 10 mins after she drank or ate something. She would sit down for 25-35 minutes at a time. This worked well most of the time. 
Towards nap time and bed time she would get cranky. I would also get cranky , frustrated, and tired too. Like I said before it is challenging. 
There was a funny moment where she surprised her self peeing in her potty. It was quite amusing. She originally thought that she was doing something bad so she tired to get up but I assured her that it was okay. I spoke to her in an excited voice and told her "You're peeing! Yay!" After she was done I showed her pee . I know 'eww' but she needs a visual to see why she is sitting in a plastic bin. You can see it in her face how happy and proud she was.

Day 3 June 24


Today we didn't really get a chance to sit down and actually potty train that much. My husband and two co-workers were coming for dinner. So I had to make sure food was prepared and the house was clean. But we did managed to do a few hours of potty though. I made sure that between breakfast time and nap time she did a little training and we did potty train 2 hours after nap time. There was an intermission for lunch time. 
I'm going to try to make it a habit to put my daughter straight to her potty after her nap. I didn't do this the first day. And I should have. 
I think my daughter is starting to get the idea of this training but not fully. 
I am just glad that I am not using 6-7 diapers a day. Instead I am using 3 the most each day. Today was short day of training so she only peed in the potty twice. 
Unfortunately tomorrow is going to look like we won't be able to train at all. We have 2 doctor appointments for my husband (one in the morning the other in the afternoon) We will see what will happen tomorrow. 

Day 4 June 25


Unfortunately we weren't as successful as the other days. We had a doctors appointment that well lets say the doctor discharge us as patients from their practice. Since we cancelled our appointment for the afternoon we were able to potty train a bit. But she didn't use the potty.

Day 5 June 26


We did potty train for about 2-3 hours before we had to head out for the day. She actually used the potty once the rest of the times were accidents. 

Day 6 June 27


Definitely no potty training :-/

Day 7 June 28

We did potty train but there was a handful of accidents. Most of her accidents are when she is playing with legos or she is just distracted with something else. 

Day 8 June 29

My husband tried to help out. It was funny seeing him trying to teach her.
Today I noticed that she was doing the cross your legs signal for the first time ever. I told her to sit down on her potty but she refused. So I demonstrated to use the toilet  (not her potty chair). I told her "Look mommy is using her potty too!" And not even 2 seconds into my sentence she started peeing on the floor. She was sorta done and was proud that she peed. I had to tell her no  that that's not where to you pee and sat her down on her chair. When I made her sit down she did not like it at all. She was trying to get out but at the end she did pee in it. I got really excited and happy for her. She is getting it slowly but surely. It just takes time for her to fully understand.Even though she only used  her potty once today I was still proud of her. I am just glad that I am not wasting so many diapers per day. 
There are a few rules I have made up as I started training my daughter. 
First no sitting in anything that can't be wiped down. Examples are sofa, office chairs, dinning chairs, or carpets. 
Second if toddler drinks a liquid go to the bathroom 15 mins after and make them sit until they pee. 
Third if toddler is really quiet that means that they had an accident so you must clean their mess if not they will play with their puddle of pee or a pet will accidentally step on it (hasn't happened...yet). 
Day 9 June 30

Over night I got sick again. :-/ So since I wasn't feeling well and my husband had to work today there was no training. I hope I get a little better tomorrow. 

I will continue to post either on a weekly or bi-weekly basis on the status of my daughter's potty training. I hope other moms and dads out there can learn from me. If you have any advice on what else I can do to better my training I would gladly appreciate it. Either comment or email me directly (surpriseyouareamom@gmail.com) Thanks!