Surprise You Are A Mom !: Tiny babies big miracles !

Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Tiny babies big miracles !

As I mentioned in my previous post I signed up for Miracle Miles Run 5k and I ran it this Saturday! My first 5k! yay!
I must say it was  a bit challenging for me. Even though I work out weekly for this event. 
That day I had to get up at 3:30(ish) a.m. to start getting ready. I made myself a smoothie cause I knew I couldn't eat a big breakfast. 
My smoothie consist of:
 - 8 oz of milk,
 - 1 banana 
- about 1/2 cup of old fashion oats (I usually eye ball it)
You can add peanut butter but I don't really like peanut butter. Or add a variety of fruits.
I made sure my daughter had her lunchbox ready with snacks and drinks for the event. 
Once that was done I had to wake up the babies. I mean my daughter and husband (hehe)
We got there a bit early around 6 a.m. 
We walked around the park. My daughter was curious about everything; watching the vendors setting up and all the new faces. The WaWa vendors were already making smoothies so we took a couple of samples. There were a few times where she wanted to use the bathroom but the only bathrooms open were the portapotty.  She didn't really enjoy it that much so she didn't use it. 
At 6:40am Dr Gregor Alexander started the introduction ceremony. His speech was so touching. We then sang the national anthem. This was the first time my daughter has heard the anthem. I  put her hand over her heart at first she didn't understand but then she saw her Papa do it so she did it too. It was really adorable she just kept looking around at the people singing and tried to sing it too.
At 7 a.m. the 5k run started! And off we went! 
I got to my first mile at 9 minutes and 20 seconds. A little bit after the first mile they were giving little cups of water. I have to admit , I almost choked on the water while trying to run at the same time. I don't know how those pro runners do it. Oh well! I survived that. Second mile was up at 22 minutes and I don't really remember the seconds. At this point I knew I had to pick up the pace a little. There was this little kid, he must of been like 8-9 years old. He zoomed right by me! I must say kids have amazing energy to dispense! That kid some how gave me a boost to run faster. I hit mile 3. At that point I didn't see the actual time. We had amazing volunteers cheering us on. I guess they saw our faces of struggle a bit. 
I finished at 38 minutes and 20-something seconds ! Right under my personal goal of 45 minutes! I was so happy and proud of myself when I finished! 
I struggled a little I must say. But I am willing to do this again next year. I don't think I'll do the 15k but you never know. I never thought of completing a 5k before and here I am. Checking it off of my list. 
After I was done I enjoyed coffee and a bagel from Panera Bread. I couldn't stay long for the festivities because we accidentally made an oil change appointment for the same day. Oh well there is always next year!
The few moments that we were there we saw quadruplets in little wagons. On the side of the wagons they had banners saying 'I Love NICU' and 'NICU graduates' Seeing all these kids grown up and to think many, many years ago there wasn't really a NICU they wouldn't have had a greater chance of survival. It just amazes me. It still amazes me when I see my daughter. It's true  as they say 'Tiny Babies, Big Miracles!'.